Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Week 2: Storytelling || Dasaratha, the innocent boy, and the blind parents

The day was calm when Vishikh embraced the opportunity to fill his families weekly water pitcher. Being the solitary caretaker of his blind parents, Vishikh found himself in a constant state of companionship with the desire for a solitary moment. Filling the pitchers became Vishikh’s weekly chance to rest and meditate in the midst of his exhausting life of giving and never being given back to. As he approached the river he spoke softly, with the clarity of 1000 sun rays, and said, “Om sarveshaam swastir bhavatu. Sarveshaam shantir bhavatu. Sarveshaam poornam bhavatu. Sarveshaam mangalam bhavatu. Sarve bhavantu sukhinah. Sarve santu niraamayaah. Sarve bhadraani pashyantu. Maakaschit duhkha bhaag bhavet" (1). This is a shanti mantra Vishikh meditates on each week at the river with intentions of imparting fortune, peace, fullness, prosperity, happiness, health, and no sorrow to all people.
After his tenth repetition of the shanti mantra, he decided the time had come to fill the water pitchers and return home to tend to his disabled parents. The first two canisters were filled and he began replenishing the third when he was suddenly struck by an arrow through his abdomen. He shouted in agonizing pain, laying on the ground next to two full pitchers, and watched as the third navigated down the river after being released from his grip, when a frightened stranger rapidly approached him.
“You are no elephant. What have I done? What is your name, dear son? What can I do to help you?”
“I am Vishikh, the son of two blind parents. I am their sole caretaker and they will not survive without my aid. Please, inform them of my death. Our home is under the only visible northern star of the day. If you can, take my body with you on your journey.”
Vishikh took his last breath before the man who shot him could respond to his dying wish.
King Dasaratha was still unnerved by his misfortune in killing an innocent boy, but he composed himself and set forth on his journey to Vishikh’s home. He carried the boy and the two water pitchers for many miles until he reached the home of the eyeless, childless parents.

Dasaratha and the blind parents
 
“Who is there? That does not sound like the footsteps of my son, Vishikh. What have you come for?” said Vishikh’s father.
“I am King Dasaratha. When the sun was with me I hunted in the forest. I thought I heard the noise of an elephant drinking water from the river, but it was your son filling your water pitchers. I tragically shot your son and he is lifeless in my arms. All of your wishes will be granted if you can forgive my catastrophic mistake.”
“Forgive you? How will we live? Curse you! You too will lose a son and know the pain in our hearts. You will never be forgiven for your life-taking shot. You will die as we will.”
Once the father’s curse concluded, he and his wife collapsed to the ground. Dasaratha was terrified but felt obliged to bury their bodies and properly send them to the afterlife. Upon the cessation of the private ceremony, Dasaratha began the journey home, never to speak of the murder of an innocent boy, deaths of his parents, or the curse of the broken.



Author's note: I used a story telling style very similar to Narayan because I find it to be easy to follow, yet intriguing. My goal for the story was to convey the interaction between Dasaratha and the boy he killed, and ultimately the severe reaction of his parents and their deaths.

Works Cited: 
(1) "The Divine Life Society, Rishikesh" by Sri Swami Shivananda. Website: Shanti Mantras.
(2) Narayan, R. K. (1972) The Ramayana.


3 comments:

  1. Mary, this is a great retelling of the tragic story of Dasaratha and the boy he accidentally shot. The added details like the mantra and the star made the story more real, and thus making the tragic deaths that much more of a tragedy. I am glad you elaborated on the boy and his parents, and it wouldn't be hard to imagine your story being a part of the original story. So, you did a great job of blending your story with the book. I really enjoyed reading your story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good evening Marry! I want to let you know I really enjoyed reading your story. It flowed well and actually tugged at my heart strings a little. I also found your anded parts of the story to be very culturally believable in the fact that I could definitely see them being apart of the actual story. Keep up the awesome work and I hope to read more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this was very creative!!! I loved all of the parts that you added because it definitely has a positive impact on the story. This is not something that I see people commenting on a lot, but I really liked the length of your storytelling! A lot of people (including myself) usually stick to the exact numbers but I enjoyed how long your story was! Great job!

    ReplyDelete